10 am - 6 pm Tuesdays and Thursdays
9 am - 1 pm Saturdays
Story Hour at 11:00 am on second Tuesday of the month
Westmoreland Note Cards Available
We have notecards! Packages of 5 notecards for $6, all with a variety of photos or paintings of local interest. Call the library to get yours!
Three of the five note cards
are pictured below.
A Brief History of the Library
Early records show the first libraries in Westmoreland were subscription libraries maintained in the private homes of W. J. Reed on Park Hill and Deacon Jon Cowdery in South Village.
In 1876, Willard Bill, Jr. and Reverend Charles N. Flanders took the first step to provide the Town of Westmoreland with a public library. They raised an initial sum of $116 by hosting a lecture series. The following year, a library association was formed which voted to formally gift these and all other raised monies to the town for the purpose of organizing a free library. The town voted to accept the gift at its town meeting in 1888. The books previously held in the private libraries were then placed in various homes throughout the town and freely exchanged.
Almost twenty years later, in 1903, Mary Ruland, wife of the local minister, catalogued 2,955 books and the town voted to provide a suitable place to hold all of these books. The No. 3 schoolhouse in South Village which had closed three years before was chosen as the preferred site. Under the direction of Willard Bill, renovations soon began on the old brick schoolhouse which had been built in 1830. The first librarians were Misses Mary and Carrie Warren.
In 1905, the old school reopened as a public library with a new brick façade and a tower on each front corner in tribute to the two men who had been the visionaries so many years before.
In 2001, the town celebrated the addition of the Children's Room.